Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Think I might have caught something that I heard is highly infectious...

...and while I'm actually battling another cold right now (yes, am also currently on vacation, as it seems I always start being sick one week before my work holidays start...), I don't mean a bug as such, I'm actually talking about something far more severe...

You know, when you try something new and crafty and you just can't seem to stop?

Let's say it all started rather harmless... with the Dumpling Pouch Swap hosted by Mari-Ann on Flickr. Now the word swap alone stands for something severe with some sewists, as swaps can be highly addictive... but while I love swaps, I know I have actually been pretty good withstanding that one addiction ;)
The thing is, that my partner in said Dumpling Swap loves English Paper Piecing (EPP) and while I know how Foundation Paper Piecing works, I had never done the completely different EPP. But I aim to please and I like to extend my abilities/try something new, at least if it comes to sewing and being crafty. And I also have a huge role model in terms of EPP, Karen of Faeries and Fibres. She does amazing arty quilts with all her different EPP techniques, so go give her a visit for some fabulous tutorials.

But not getting side tracked now, like I said I like to try and meet my swap partner's expectations, so I had to give this EPP thing a go...


And that's kind of how the whole disaster started...


And I am being entirely sarcastic when I speak of a disaster, because I realised I quite enjoyed handpiecing... and I usually hate anything that has to do with handsewing...

So I used 3/4" hexagon templates that I received in a swap once and pieced and pieced and pieced away until this little Dumpling pouch was finished... First time ever EPP project finished, tadaa!


But don't think I stopped there... 

Because I also signed up for the Bee Still My Heart Swap hosted by Deanna on Instagram... 
And since honeycombs are hexagons/hexies, I of course needed to make some more...


These were put aside for now though, as I had to work on yet another swap with a deadline much closer than the Bee themed swap. 

I'm talking about the Four Seasons Pillow Swap hosted by Karen on Flickr. I've already been in the Spring round and received a gorgeous EPP pillow (no pun intended at all!) from my friend Tammy, also known as OmaTam. And while I've been doing a foundation pieced pillow in the spring round, I was striving to do something different in this round. Plus, it happens that my partner likes EPP and decided that my idea of doing a tumbling blocks pattern suited her well. 

The plan was to use rainbow colours and low volume, and so I kept making diamonds for a while...


First in low volume, then in different shades of colours to create rows...
  

Then more colours...


And more rows...


Until now a few days later I have almost the whole pillow top pieced. I took the following picture last night. I have all the shapes done now and only need to sew the last pieces together, then connect the final few rows.


I honestly never thought that doing this would actually be quite so efficient and quick - also it's super relaxing as you can just put your feet up and watch TV while sewing your EPP pieces together. I started working on the colour rows properly last Wednesday evening and since then have been sewing on it pretty much nonstop. So I guess being sick and on holiday from work does help a bit...

Also, I'm already wondering which might be the next EPP project that I could do, but hey, after this pillow is finished, I still have the Bee Swap item to do and that should keep me busy for another day or two ;)

That's it from me for now, do you have any sewing techniques that you are addicted to/can't stop/enjoy way too much? Do tell, I'd love to hear!

xx Lia

7 comments:

  1. I love how all your pieces are turning out, really lovely work.

    EPP is my big addiction. I never thought I'd enjoy it, the thought of all that handsewing seemed so daunting, but trying it was the best thing I ever did. I love how versatile it is, how you can bring it everywhere with you and always have it there ready to pick up and put down as time allows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arh, life will never be the same again, once bitten by the EPP bug, welcome to this wonderful addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, for a first try, both projects are so impressive! You have such a good eye for color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me so scared at first when I saw this email about you catching something highly infectious- I thought- oh NO- my dear friend Lia is deathly ill...I was relieved to see what kind of bug you caught!!! Your sewing skills are so impressive! I'm glad you added another addiction to your sewing skills! I think, too, that it is a very relaxing type of sewing- feet propped up on a recliner, TV-watching, type! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!! (Oh yes- swaps are another type of bug I've caught- I don't think there is a cure for that one...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love how all of the points are so perfect with almost no effort at all? It really is nice to have some hand sewing for those moments when you aren't at your machine. You've done a great job of everything and I know that the recipients will be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm not your partner in this Pillow Swap Round and that's a pity - because your pillow is going to be gorgeous!!! EPP is fun and I love to do it - but I have never finished any of the projects - they are all UFOs... You instead have really done a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Julia, I seem to have to do applique! It is not as if I actually like it, but still it seems I must...So I do know where you are coming from, not enjoy handsewing, but EPP is different, I think it is because you can have little goals.. Just this one seam, and then, just that one seam...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...