So after painting the faces onto the blocks using textile paint, which took me 2 days due to several colours and layers on some, and deciding in which order to put the blocks, I sewed everything together in rows and then into one top.
But since the plaid that I wanted to use for the back has a size of 120 x 150 cm and the top I now had was about 110 by 120 cm, I knew that something else had to be added, so that it wouldn't look so lost and empty.
The immediate idea was to add the opening slogan of each Star Wars movie... "It was a long time ago in a far, far away galaxy..."
Since my little brother and I are German, I used the German phrase of the movies, though. That resulted in 2 gruelling days of handpainting two banners, with which I pretty much killed my neck and shoulders while hanging over the table and using nail art dotting tools to get the letters accurate. Yes, I now look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. No, lol! Just kidding ;)
I have to admit that the whole part of sewing together the blocks and rows went extremely quickly. I had that done in just one afternoon, but the whole painting took ages, and of course so did also the making of all the blocks, that Kristy from Quiet Play so awesomely made all the patterns for, which even resulted in me wanting to make this quilt. It was so much fun paper-piecing all these blocks and I can't really pick a favourite, although I re-did my Princess Leia block and I really adore the new one I made. She turned out so cute! My mum loves Chewbacca and Lando by the way, so she kept telling me repeatedly throughout the whole putting-it-together process.
Then after lots of pinning all my 3 layers together the whole quilting process started albeit not as I had planned. I always though my machine was quite big, but obviously has zero throat space, as I was struggling to get my roll underneath, so the idea of straight-lining AND stippling quickly resulted in my throwing the stippling out the window and only sticking to straightlining in the ditch around the blocks.
At first I was sceptical if that would be enough to keep the layers together, but when I was finished with the quilting, it all actually looked ok to me. I used batting of about 3/8 inch thickness, so the blocks and rows now have a really nice puff to them and I'm sure this blanket will be nice and warm on my brother's bed.
That is, if he doesn't decided to hang it on his wall instead, which I would have no objection with, but I haven't added any hoops for a dowel or anything. We'll see.
So, without further ado...here's the finished Star Wars Quilt! *inserts excited squeal* I'm always sooo happy when I've finished something and have it all packed and ready to go, it makes me super excited for the person to receive it :)
The fleece plaid on the back makes this quilt extremely snuggle worthy, after using about 15 paper sheets of my lintroller on it, it was all nice and puff and I kept wanting to hug it, lol! I hope my brother will give it lots of love. :)
Ok, so much for the Star Wars News, but there's more.
It might sound a bit sad to some, but each year I give myself something for Christmas. Last year, I bought my first own sewing machine, after sharing with my mother for several years. This year I added to my collection when ordering a serger. And this is about the cheapest that I could get for 99,95 Euro, but it's extremely sturdy and sews perfectly for my taste. I'm sure, we'll go on many new adventures together, especially lots of bag making ;)
I made the above picture just after unpacking it, now it's threaded with 4 cones of white thread and I already did a few small projects on it.
And then I decided to get my own labels made. For the past couple years I've always made them myself by printing on T-Shirt transer paper and then ironing those labels onto twill tape. But then I saw that many sewists have these really cool woven labels and I've had my eye on those for a while. Now I finally ordered some simple ones and chose the mix colour batch that was on offer. That way I have a range of 8 colours I can choose from, depending on what that certain project looks like, that I want to add a label to.
I already used one of the light blue ones on my brother's quilt above.
You can see the difference in my labels in the picture. The big one is one of the ones I made myself. I really like the colours of the woven ones, though. They're really nice and I ordered them from Dortex, if anyone wants to know. 100 of them cost me 30.75 Euro and they were here in about a week. :)
That's it from me for now, but I'm not leaving you without one more thing.
Thank you for reading along and I hope you will keep on following my sewing adventures in the new year!
Hope you all have a blessed Holiday Season!